Alternative solar water heater for domestic purpose
MetadataShow full item record
In this report we aimed to incorporate solar energy in the domestic household. We designed a system that would allow the user to attain hot water in an efficient and cheap manner. Every household has domestic electric water heaters which consume a lot of electricity. Nowadays, there is a severe electricity crisis and therefore alternative resources must be looked into. This automated system would allow the user to get hot water from the solar water heater as long as the solar water heater can supply hot water above a set temperature. If the solar water heater is unable to supply water above the set temperature, then only will the electric water heater come into action. It is efficient because our controller ensures that the solar water heater is used to supply hot water 80% of the time, and the rest 20% will be supplied by the electric water heater. It is cheap because, our system runs on solar energy which is abundant and free. It uses very small amount of electricity and therefore, reduces the expenses for the user.